Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to goldAugust 4th, 2012 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Svetlana Podobedova won Olympic gold for Kazakhstan by the narrowest of margins here Friday, edging out Russia’s Natalya Zabolotnaya in the women’s 75 kg weightlifting by virtue of lighter body weight.
Podobedova and Zabolotnaya both broke the Olympic record with totals of 291 kg, with the Russian setting down a new Olympic best of 131 kg in the snatch and Podobedova setting a new Olympic record of 161 kg in the clean and jerk.
Podobedova was born in Russia and represented that country until she was stripped of her 2006 world junior title for doping, after which she switched allegiance to Kazakhstan.
“I am grateful I could compete. In 2008 Russia didn’t allow me to go to Beijing but Kazhakstan gave me a chance. I started training for this slowly, and this gold is for Kazhakstan,” she said.
“I just wished for it so much. I have been working towards this all my life.”
Official results show the total Olympic record awarded to Zabolotnaya, who only joined the Russian team last week after Oksana Slivenko withdrew with injury.
Belarusian lifter Iryna Kulesha was a distant third with a total of 269 kg.
Podobedova’s victory brings Kazakhstan its fourth gold of the games and third in women’s weightlifting, after Zulfiya Chinshanlo won the 53kg category and Maiya Maneza took victory in the 63kg event.
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Weightlifting: Kazakh prodigy takes gold, world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Russia win rhythmic gymnastics gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: North Korea's Om wins gold with record lift - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- I'm closing in on world-beater Zhou: Russian weightlifter - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Ukraine's Torokhtiy wins 105kg event - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Joshua wins super heavyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Record-breaker Lu lifts gold - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: allegiance, beijing, fourth gold, kazhakstan, kg, lifter, maiya, margins, natalya, olympic gold, olympic record, olympic weightlifting, ria novosti, russia, russian team, ss, svetlana, vd, victory, virtue