Olympic village opened to participantsJuly 21st, 2008 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 21 (Xinhua) The Beijing Olympics athletes’ village has been opened here as the advance contingents of 12 national Olympic committees were expected to check in. “The advance men from 12 national Olympic committees are scheduled to check in at the village soon,” Yin Lei, an organising committee staff at the village’s arrival and departure centre, told Xinhua Sunday.
“We call it a soft opening,” he said.
During the Aug 8-24 Games, the village will be home to about 16,000 athletes and officials. The 42-building complex in the north of the capital city also includes a hospital, a bank, shops, places of worship, restaurants, a swimming pool, and gyms.
Officially it will open to delegations July 27, two weeks before the start of the Olympics.
After the Paralympics in September, the village will be used for public housing.
- London Heathrow airport unveils Olympic terminal - Apr 05, 2012
- London Olympic contingency tickets to go on sale - May 09, 2012
- Mayor praises Paralympic Village - Aug 26, 2012
- Madagascar to send seven athletes to London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Games Village has set benchmark for London 2012' - Sep 16, 2010
- Proud of US Olympic team's hard work: Obama - Aug 05, 2012
- Archers, lifters and Bindra arrive at Olympic village - Jul 17, 2012
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: arrival and departure, athletes village, beijing olympics, building complex, committee staff, delegations, games, gyms, national olympic committees, olympic village, olympics, olympics athletes, organising committee, paralympics, participants, places of worship, public housing, restaurants, swimming pool, xinhua