Olympic torch relay in St. Petersburg endsApril 5th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by admin
St. Petersburg, April 5 (Xinhua) The Beijing Olympic torch relay in St. Petersburg, the third leg of its global journey, ended Saturday at the Palace Square. At around 3 p.m., the last torchbearer Svetlana Zhurova, the vice speaker of Russian State Duma and a gold medallist at 2006 Turin Winter Olympics, ran into the Palace Square on the south of the Winter Palace, where a huge crowd had waited to receive the Olympic flame.
A grand celebration was held starting from 2.30 p.m. at the square. After Zhurova lit the cauldron, the audience brought out a burst of applause.
Galina Zybina, shot put gold medallist at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Finland, was the first torchbearer running from the Victory Square at about 10.45 a.m.
After 250 metres, she handed over the flame to Leonid Tyagachyov, the president of the Russian Olympic Committee, who ran another 250 metres.
There were a total of 80 torchbearers in St. Petersburg, including famous athletes, cultural and business figures and politicians, covering a distance of about 20 kilometres.
The Olympic torch had already been relayed in Almaty, Kazakhstan, Wednesday and Turkey’s Istanbul Thursday. It will now travel to London.
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in 2012 host city London - Apr 06, 2008
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic torch relay completed despite protest - Feb 13, 2010
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
Tags: 1952 summer olympics, 2006 turin winter olympics, almaty kazakhstan, business figures, global journey, gold medallist, grand celebration, helsinki finland, olympic flame, olympic torch relay, russian olympic committee, russian state duma, summer olympics, svetlana zhurova, torchbearer, turin winter olympics, vice speaker, victory square, winter olympics, winter palace