Olympic torch relay concludes in North KoreaApril 28th, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by admin
Pyongyang, April 28 (Xinhua) Thousands of Koreans, Chinese businessmen and overseas students cheered as the Olympic torch, on the 18th leg of its global tour, completed its run in the North Korean capital Monday without disturbance or interruption. The last torchbearer Chong Song Ok, popularly known as the “Marathon Queen”, ran up to the cauldron in front of the Kim Il Sung stadium from the Arch of Triumph and kindled the Olympic cauldron with the flame.
Spectators raised hundreds of banners which said “congratulations to the successful completion of Olympic torch relay in Pyongyang,” “cheers Beijing, cheers Pyongyang, cheers Olympic Games,” “China-DPRK friendship passed on from generation to generation.”
North Korean premier Kim Yong Il and Pyongyang’s representative on the International Olympic Committee attended the ceremony.
Head of the Beijing Olympic flame delegation, Li Binghua, who is also the executive vice president of the Beijing Organizing Committee of Olympic Games (BOCOG), was among those who attended the ceremony.
The torch relay kicked off at around 10.15 a.m. at the tower of the Juche Idea.
Before kindling the first torch relayed in Pyongyang, a brief launching ceremony was held in the front of the tower of the Juche Idea, with a band playing the national anthems of China and North Korea.
Eighty torchbearers, who included government officials, athletes, people from various walks of life, and overseas Koreans and Chinese in North Korea, ran a 20-km route in Pyongyang that covers the city’s main streets and most of the scenic spots.
The Olympic flame left Pyongyang Monday evening for its next destination Vietnamese capital Ho Chi Minh City.
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- North Korea mourns Kim Jong-il - Dec 29, 2011
- Olympic flame arrives at Pyongyang - Apr 28, 2008
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Pyongyang protests US-South Korea military drill - Mar 04, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: arch of triumph, bocog, chi minh city, chinese businessmen, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, international olympic committee, juche idea, kim il sung stadium, kim yong il, korean capital, launching ceremony, li binghua, national anthems, olympic cauldron, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic torch relay, vietnamese capital, walks of life