Olympic torch reaches Everest summitMay 8th, 2008 - 9:28 am ICT by admin
Beijing, May 8 (DPA) A team of Chinese climbers Thursday carried the Olympic flame to the 8,848-metre summit of the world’s highest peak, Mount Everest. State television broadcast live pictures of the climbers reaching the summit and displaying the Olympic flame in several special high-altitude, wind-proof torches on the summit of Everest in China’s Tibet Autonomous Region.
The entire team of 12 climbers appeared to have reached the summit, raising Olympic and Beijing 2008 flags and sending goodwill messages to television viewers as they stood on the peak as light snow fell.
State media said the team was led by Nima Ciren, head of the Lhasa Mountaineering Guide School in Tibet, and included seven other Tibetans.
The official Xinhua news agency said the team held a 30-metre torch relay on the summit.
- 73-year-old woman climbs Mount Everest - May 19, 2012
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Japanese lady, 73, awarded for scaling Mt. Everest - May 26, 2012
- More IAF climbers summit Everest (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- 'Super Sherpa' breaks Everest record with 21 summits - May 11, 2011
- Student is youngest British woman to climb Everest - May 22, 2012
- 19 times Everest summiter missing after avalanche in Nepal - Oct 25, 2010
- China lowers Everest guard for Mumbai teen (With Images) - Jun 02, 2011
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- Indian Air Force team conquers Mt Everest - May 21, 2011
- Nepal's 9-yr-old to defy age bar for Everest record - Nov 05, 2010
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011
- Third climber dies on Mt Everest - May 13, 2011
- Bravehearts write new records on Mt Everest - May 07, 2011
Tags: beijing 2008, entire team, everest summit, goodwill messages, high altitude, lhasa, light snow, metre summit, mount everest, mountaineering guide, olympic flame, olympic torch, reaching the summit, state television, television viewers, tibet autonomous region, tibetans, torch relay, wind proof, xinhua news agency