Olympic tennis: Paes-Sania crash out of mixed doubles (Second Lead)August 5th, 2012 - 1:45 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS) India’s tennis campaign at the 2012 London Games came to an end Saturay after the mixed doubles pair of Leander Paes and Sania Mirza lost their quarterfinal match at the Wimbledon.
Paes, a 1996 singles bronze medallist, and Sania lost 5-7, 6-7 (7-5) to the top seeded Belarusian pair of Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi in a match that was played over two days due to bad light.
The Indians were trailing 5-7, 2-3 when bad light stopped play here Friday evening. But when play resumed Saturday, it seemed that the Indians failed to get back into the match.
Paes and Saina had paired for the Olympics after sorting out their off-court differences. They had an excellent win against the Serbian pair of Nenad Zimonjic and Anna Ivanovic to book a place in the quarterfinal.
India’s campaign in men’s singles and doubles and women’s singles also didn’t last long.
Wild card entrant Somdev Devvarman, India sole representative in the singles, suffered a first round exit to Finland’s Jarko Nieminen in a rain-affected encounter.
The second to go out was the women’s doubles pair of Sania and Rushmi Chakarvarthi, who were knocked out by Chia-Jung Chuang and Su-Wei Hsieh of Chinese Taipei in the opening round.
The men’s doubles pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna, who had revolted against the All India Tennis Association (AITA) for asking them to pair with Paes, went down tamely 3-6, 4-6 to Frenchman Richard Gasquet and Julien Benneteau in the second round.
But Paes, playing with a young partner Vishnu Vardhan, held his head high after they lost to the second seeded French pair of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Michael Llodra in an evenly fought second round match.
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Saina crash out of mixed doubles (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Tough draw for Indians in men's doubles tennis - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania out of singles, doubles hopes alive - Feb 10, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania in singles, doubles quarterfinals - Feb 09, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania in quarters of doubles and mixed event - Jan 23, 2012
- Sania-Rushmi crash out of Olympic tennis - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Paes-Sania's quarterfinal match stoppped - Aug 04, 2012
- Australian Open: Bhupathi-Bopanna, Sania-Vesnina enter doubles pre-quarters - Jan 21, 2012
- Wimbledon: Bopanna-Zheng out of mixed doubles - Jul 06, 2012
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Sania-Bopanna in Wimbledon quarters - Jun 30, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina in Dubai Open semis - Feb 23, 2012
- Wimbledon: Bhupathi in mixed doubles semifinal; Sania, Paes lose - Jul 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina surprise Raymond-Huber to enter semis - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: aita, bronze medallist, chia jung chuang, chinese taipei, jarko nieminen, jo wilfried tsonga, julien benneteau, leander paes, london games, mahesh bhupathi, max mirnyi, michael llodra, nenad zimonjic, olympic tennis, quarterfinal match, richard gasquet, rohan bopanna, sole representative, victoria azarenka, vishnu vardhan