Olympic table tennis: Gold for Chinese men’s teamAugust 9th, 2012 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) China’s men’s table tennis team put in a dominating performance to take gold Wednesday, thrashing South Korea in the final.
With the latest win in table tennis, China has made a clean sweep for the second consecutive Olympics. It was the 24th gold medal that China won at the Olympic table tennis competition since its national sport was introduced at the 1988 Seoul Games, Xinhua reported.
On Wednesday, the South Koreans won just two sets as China’s Ma Long, Wang Hao and Zhang Jike wrapped up the match 3-0 against Joo Saehyuk, Oh Sangeun and Ryu Seungmin.
“I feel like my neck is stretching,” Zhang said of winning his second gold medal after triumphing in the singles.
“There may only be three people in this team but this is for the millions in China watching us,” Wang said.
Ma beat Ryu 11-6, 11-6, 6-11, 11-4 in a quickfire first game before Joo made life difficult for Zhang before his Chinese opponent prevailed 11-9, 5-11, 11-6, 11-8 in the second game.
The doubles game became the decider, Wang and Zhang demonstrating their class in an 11-4, 11-8, 11-6 victory over Oh and Ryu that lasted just 15 minutes.
Earlier, Germany beat Hong Kong 3-1 to take the bronze medal.
- Olympic table tennis: China wins men's team gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Which is better shakehand or penhold? Star players battle it out - Jun 25, 2011
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia's Tchebanika wins TT Paralympic gold - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China forces into the men's team final - Aug 07, 2012
- Chinese Li takes TT gold in controversial final - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Asian TT: Sharath-Saha bow out in quarters - Feb 28, 2012
- Zhang Jike wins TT World Cup crown - Nov 14, 2011
- Asian TT: Sharath-Saha stun China's second seeds, enter pre-quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- Singapore wins Olympic table tennis team bronze medal - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- First Paralympic gold goes to China - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: bronze medal, chinese men, clean sweep, decider, dominating performance, first game, gold medal, national sport, olympic table tennis, olympics, opponent, ria novosti, second game, seoul games, south korea, south koreans, table tennis competition, table tennis team, wang hao, xinhua