Olympic table tennis: China secures another goldAugust 2nd, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS) China locked in another table tennis gold when World No.1 Zhang Jike and teammate Wang Hao both reached the men’s singles final at the Olympic Games here Thursday.
Zhang ended Europe’s hope of regaining a singles gold after beating German Dimitrij Ovtcharov 11-8, 11-3, 5-11, 11-9 and 11-8. Wang beat Chuang Chih-Yuan from Chinese Taipei 11-13, 11-2, 12-10, 11-6, 11-9, reports Xinhua.
Head coach Liu Guoliang said he felt relieved that both Zhang and Wang did not crack under pressure and played well in the semifinals.
“The pressure is huge. It is even more than the Beijing Olympics, because we have one player less and the pace has changed too,” Liu said.
The International Table Tennis Federation altered its rules for the London Games, allowing only two players from one nation to enter singles, eliminating the possibility of another 1-2-3 finish for Chinese men and women. The third qualifier can only compete in team event.
The federation also changed the competition format for the London Olympics - singles come before team event.
The changes have increased variables for China’s gold quest. Liu said before that the singles-first format poses “unprecedented challenges” to Chinese players as any slip in singles will increase pressure in the team event.
Commenting on the final, Liu said both Zhang and Wang were strong contenders for the gold.
“Zhang is more aggressive, and Wang is more all-rounded. Whoever has the right way of thinking wins the gold,” Liu added.
A right-handed attacker, Zhang is the reigning World Champion and World Cup champion. If he wins the gold here, he would become the first male player to win the World Championship and Olympic Games back-to-back.
Wang, 27, was World Champion in men’s singles in 2009. He twice let slip gold medals at Olympic men’s singles, losing to South Korea’s Ryu Seung Min at Athens 2004 and his teammate Ma Lin at Beijing 2008. London 2012 might be his last chance to get the gold.
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Which is better shakehand or penhold? Star players battle it out - Jun 25, 2011
- Olympic table tennis: Gold for Chinese men's team - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China wins men's team gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Zhang Jike wins TT World Cup crown - Nov 14, 2011
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China forces into the men's team final - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese paddler Zhang says first match crucial - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian TT: Sharath-Saha stun China's second seeds, enter pre-quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- China wary of Germany in table tennis - Mar 27, 2012
- Olympic TT: Chinese women reinforce their dominance - Aug 08, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Sharath crashes out of World TT Championship - May 11, 2011
Tags: beijing 2008, beijing olympics, chinese players, chinese taipei, competition format, gold medals, gold quest, international table tennis federation, jike, liu guoliang, london games, london olympics, olympic games, olympic men, olympic table tennis, table tennis federation, unprecedented challenges, wang hao, world champion, world cup champion