Olympic shooting: Karmakar finishes fourth in 50m rifle prone (Lead)August 3rd, 2012 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS) Indian shooter Joydeep Karmakar finished a credible fourth in the men’s 50 meters rifle prone event here Friday while Gagan Narang failed to qualify for the final.
Joydeep shot an overall score of 699.1, including 595 in the qualification and 104.1 in the medal round. His score in the final was third highest among the eight shooters.
Narang, who had won the bronze in the men’s 10m rifle, finished a disappointing 18th.
Belarusian shooter Sergei Martynov kept a steady hand to take the gold by a dominant margin.
Martynov, twice a bronze medallist in the event, set a world record final score of 705.5 to win by 4.2 points after earlier equalling the world record in qualifying with a maximum score of 600.
Silver went to Belgium’s Lionel Cox, who edged out Slovenian bronze medallist Rajmond Debevec by 0.2 points.
Ukraine’s Artur Avvazyan, the gold medallist in Beijing four years ago, scored 593 in qualifying and missed out on the final, as did Australia’s Warren Potent, who won bronze in 2008.
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Hope I can give a better gift to the country next time, says Joydeep Karmakar - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic: Narang misses 50m rifle prone qualification, Karmakar in - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shines with silver, Saina's bronze hunt on (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Curtains over India's successful campaign (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang to take stance amid high expectations - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- He promised me a medal: Vijay's father - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Shooter Joydeep Karmakar: The mind will go where the spirit takes it (Interview) - Aug 28, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom ensures best medal haul for India (India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: 10m, artur, beijing, bronze medallist, cox, debevec, final score, gagan, gold medallist, joydeep, karmakar, lionel, martynov, maximum score, narang, olympic shooting, shooter, shooters, steady hand, world record