Olympic shooting: Curtains over India’s successful campaign (Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) India’s successful shooting campaign at the Olympics came to an end Monday with rifle shooters Gagan Narang and Sanjeev Rajput and trap exponent Manavjit Singh Sandhu failing to qualify for the final rounds here at the Royal Artillery Barracks.
Narang, who won the bronze medal in the men’s 10-metre air rifle, and Rajput finished 20th and 26th, respectively, in the 50m three- position event.
For Sandhu, a former World Champion, it was disappointment again for the third time as he finished 16th in the qualifying round and missed the final cut.
In the 50m rifle three-position, much was expected from Rajput but not from Narang, for whom this was not a pet event.
Narang shot 1,164 while Rajput ended with 1,161. The Olympic medallist shot 398 in prone, 377 standing and 389 while kneeling. Rajput had 395 in prone, 378 in standing and 388 while kneeling.
Italy’s Niccolo Campriani created an Olympic record scoring a total of 1,180.
Meanwhile, Shandu got a total score of 119. His best performance came in the fourth round where he had a perfect score of 25. However, it was a little late as he scored a low 22 in the previous round.
Going into the second day of qualification, Sandhu had slim chances of qualifying as he was 25th in a field of 34 on the first day.
But it has been a highly successful campaign for Indian shooters.
Besides the bronze from Narang, pistol shooter Vijay Kumar won the silver while another rifle shooter, Joydeep Karmakar, finished fourth and missed the bronze by a whisker.
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom ensures best medal haul for India (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom ensures best medal haul for India (India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Trap shooter Sandhu finishes 16th - Aug 06, 2012
- Manavjit Sandhu, Imran Hassan qualify for London Olympics - Jan 22, 2012
- Olympic: Narang misses 50m rifle prone qualification, Karmakar in - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Gagan wins silver in Kuwait Shooting Grand Prix - Mar 25, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Narang bags bronze; first Indian to qualify for London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: air rifle, bronze medal, final rounds, narang, olympic medallist, olympic record, olympic shooting, perfect score, pet event, pistol shooter, rajput, rifle shooter, rifle shooters, royal artillery, sanjeev, shot 1, slim chances, vijay kumar, whisker, world champion