Olympic sailing: Australia win men’s 470 class goldAugust 10th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Weymouth/Portland, Aug 10 (IANS) Australian sailors Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page won the men’s 470 class Olympic gold here Friday, the third for Australia at the Games sailing regatta following men’s laser and 49er.
The Australians finished the medal race second but ranked first overall with 22 net points. Britain’s Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell took the silver with 30 net points. The bronze went to Argentina’s Lucas Calabrese and Juan de la Fuente with 63 net points, reports Xinhua.
Belcher said after winning the gold: “Recognition for all the hard work we’ve put in, and for sailing in Australia. It’s much better to sail than to watch. For myself to come away and have gold is unbelievable.”
New Zealand’s Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie didn’t start well in the medal race but they still snatched the gold in women’s 470 class with 35 net points.
Before the medal race, they levelled on 33 points with Britain’s Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark. However, the New Zealand’s duo finished the medal race first, the British duo in ninth place and second overall. The bronze medal went to Lisa Westerhof and Lobke Berkhout from the Netherlands.
“It’s not sunk in yet. We are overwhelmed. It’s never finished until you finish and now it is time to celebrate,” said Powrie after winning the gold.
- Olympic sailing: New Zealand snatches gold in women's 470 - Aug 10, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Gold for Australia in men's 49er - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Brit Ainslie takes fourth successive gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Sweden takes gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Hoy gives Britain another gold in Velodrome - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Sweden takes star gold as Britain squeezed out (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- Grand reception for Asian Games silver medal winning Indian sailing team - Nov 23, 2010
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain wins gold in lightweight women's double sculls - Aug 04, 2012
- Indian women athletes, shooters help country retain No.2 position in CWG on Day-9 - Oct 13, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: aleh, australian sailors, australians, belcher, berkhout, british duo, bronze medal, calabrese, hannah, juan de la fuente, malcolm page, olivia, olympic gold, olympic sailing, sailing australia, sailing in australia, sailing regatta, saskia, westerhof, xinhua