Olympic rowing: Britain storms to women’s sculls goldAugust 3rd, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) British world champion crew Katherine Grainger and Anna Watkins stormed to Olympic gold in the women’s double sculls final here Friday.
Grainger and Watkins opened up an early lead on the Australian pair of Kim Crow and Brooke Pratley and only pulled away to time six minutes, 55.82 seconds.
For veteran rower Grainger, 36, it was a long-awaited first place after three consecutive silvers in Sydney, Athens and Beijing.
“It’s been a long, long wait. It’s not been painful, I’ve had a great few years. This is the culmination of a lot of hard work,” she said.
The Australians were nearly three seconds back, with Polish crew Magdalena Fularczyk and Julia Michalska grabbing the bronze a further nine seconds adrift.
Australia’s Kim Crow was blown away by the British performance.
“That was fantastic. An amazing race. Those girls were phenomenal. That’s the classiest race I’ve ever been part of,” she said
- Olympics: Czech Knapkova glides to rowing gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Danes snatch rowing gold from Britain - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Germans row to quadruple sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Ukraine glide to gold in quadruple sculls - Aug 01, 2012
- Rowers give Britain first home gold - Aug 01, 2012
- New Zealand's late dash brings rowing gold in sculls - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: German eight hold off Britain for rowing gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Gold for Australia in men's 49er - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic rowing: South Africa takes gold in coxless fours - Aug 02, 2012
- Valencia buy Gago from Real Madrid - Jul 20, 2012
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Olympics: New Zealand glides to rowing pairs gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Kuznetsova to miss US Open for 'recovery' - Aug 21, 2012
- Olympics: Franklin sinks world record to clinch 200m backstroke gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: amazing race, australians, beijing, blown away, british performance, culmination, dg, grainger, long wait, olympic gold, olympic rowing, pratley, ria novosti, rower, sculls, six minutes, storms, those girls, watkins, world champion