Olympic handball: Norway retains goldAugust 12th, 2012 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Norway defended its Olympic gold medal in women’s handball with a 26-23 defeat of Montenegro, which took home its first-ever medal in the Games.
Norway, also the World and European champion, went ahead half way through the first period and never receded.
Montenegro is competing in its third Olympics since independence in 2006.
It failed to a medal in Winter Games in Torino 2006 and Vancouver 2010 as well as the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Earlier, Spain beat South Korea 31-29 in a captivating bronze medal match that needed a second overtime to decide the winner.
- Olympic handball: Spain slogs to dramatic bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Russians to get $130,000 for London Olympics gold - Feb 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Croatia wins men's handball bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Gonzalez stuns Lee for gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic modern pentathlon: Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold - Aug 13, 2012
- Gold for France's Decosse in women's 70 kg judo - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Chinese Wu wins gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's Brownlee slogs to triathlon gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Germany's Brendel paddles to canoe gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Russia earns first medal in women's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, bronze medal, bs, european champion, first period, korea 31, london, match, montenegro, norway, olympic gold medal, olympic handball, olympics, overtime, ria novosti, south korea, spain, torino 2006, vancouver 2010, winter games