Olympic gold medallist held for beating wifeAugust 27th, 2010 - 11:38 am ICT by IANS
Naples (Italy), Aug 27 (IANS/AKI) A member of the Italian national water polo team that captured the gold medal at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona has been arrested in the southern city of Naples on suspicion of beating his wife, as well as other acts of abusive behaviour.
Francesco Porzio, 44, Wednesday allegedly kicked his wife in the face as she held their two-year-old child. Following the beating she barricaded herself in a closet and called the police for help.
Porzio’s wife told police that she has been the victim of her husbands violent rages for years. She said he kicks and punches her even in the presence of their children.
Italy’s men’s water polo team is one of the world’s most successful with six Olympic medals, and five World championship titles.
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Italian kills wife for being 'too beautiful' - Jul 03, 2012
- 16 Italian judges held in anti-mafia operation - Mar 20, 2012
- 2,000-year-old Roman ship found - Aug 07, 2012
- Man held in Italy for beating wife for removing veil - Aug 17, 2012
- Fugitive mafia boss found hiding in box - Mar 10, 2011
- Italian held on suspicion of extorting money from Berlusconi - Sep 01, 2011
- Cops raid world's oldest bank - May 09, 2012
- Manchester City's Balotelli saw a table of cocaine - Nov 09, 2011
- Unesco to help Italy preserve Pompeii - Dec 01, 2011
- Italian teacher held for giving passing grades for sex - Jun 28, 2012
- Four tonnes of banned fireworks seized in Italy - Dec 30, 2011
- Italian imam held for human trafficking - Jul 18, 2012
- Italy's ex-minister gets threat mail with bullet - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: 1992 olympic games, abusive behaviour, acts, barcelona, gold medal, italy aug, naples italy, national water polo team, olympic games, olympic gold, olympic medals, porzio, presence, punches, rages, suspicion, water polo team, world championship titles