Olympic GB cycling: Kenny sprints to goldAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:11 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Britain’s Jason Kenny sprinted to victory at the Olympic velodrome Monday, beating France’s Gregory Bauge in the men’s sprint final.
Kenny had earlier broken the Olympic record with a qualifying time of 9.713 seconds and won both of the first two runs to beat Bauge in the final on the best-of-three system.
The race for the gold medal was a rematch of the world championship final in Melbourne in April, when Bauge took the title.
Beating Bauge to the gold made the win even more special, Kenny said.
“I am really pleased about that. We’re really close. At the worlds and the year before, he’s been the slightly faster rider,” he said.
“I like racing against Bauge, he’s a real pro rider and it always makes for some pretty exciting racing.”
Bauge said that the passionate home support had made all the difference. “I’ve done my sprint, I think I haven’t made any mistake along the two matches.”
“The public had a huge influence. Kenny is at home, this is a small detail that can give you the wings.”
Bronze went to Australia’s Shane Perkins, who recorded two dominant wins over Njisane Nicholas Phillip of Trinidad and Tobago to take third.
- Olympic cycling: Britain take men's sprint gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics : Meares pips Pendleton to cycling gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Norway's Larsen takes Kayak sprint gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Dutch cyclist Voss wins women's road race - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt leads Jamaica to record sprint relay gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Britain takes gold in women's team pursuit - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic cycling: British record-breakers storm to gold in team pursuit - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain retain men's four crown - Aug 04, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Hoy to carry British flag at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympics: Russia storms to canoe sprint double gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Germany's Brendel paddles to canoe gold - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: australia, exciting racing, gb, gold medal, gregory bauge, jason kenny, london, melbourne, mistake, olympic record, olympic velodrome, perkins, ria novosti, shane, sprint, trinidad and tobago, victory, wings