Olympic football: Spain slump to shock defeatJuly 27th, 2012 - 5:14 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Spain suffered a surprise defeat in their Olympic football opener Thursday, going down 1-0 to Japan and having a man sent off.
Yuki Otsu was the hero for Japan at the match at Glasgow’s Hampden Park, beating Spanish goalkeeper David de Gea with a strike on 33 minutes before Inigo Dominguez picked up a straight red card for a foul on Kensuke Nagai nine minutes later.
Japan could have sealed their win with a breakaway goal on 86 minutes, but De Gea managed to block Nagai’s low shot, before Hotaru Yamaguchi hit the ball over the bar in stoppage time as Spain’s desperate attempts to equalise left them open at the back.
The world and European champions had started brightly, with Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata their main creative outlet, but struggled to break down a compact Japanese defence, even before having Dominguez sent off.
After the red card, Japan took control and restricted Spain’s shooting chances while creating plenty of their own.
Spain’s next match is against Honduras Sunday, before they play Morocco Wednesday.
Honduras and Morocco drew 2-2 in their opener Thursday.
- Olympic Football: Spain knocked out after loss to Honduras - Jul 30, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy - Jun 15, 2012
- Dynamo slump continues with defeat against Terek - Aug 19, 2012
- Olympics football: Peralta drives Mexico to beat Brazil for gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic football: US avenge World Cup loss to Japan - Aug 10, 2012
- Honda goal gives CSKA win over AIK - Aug 24, 2012
- Dundee United hold Dynamo to draw in Europa League - Aug 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano and Balotelli send Italy to quarters - Jun 19, 2012
- Spartak seal passage to Champions League group stage - Aug 30, 2012
- Alba, Mata and Martinez in Spain's Olympic squad - Jul 04, 2012
- Asian Games football: Japan whip India 5-0 in pre-quarters - Nov 16, 2010
- Spain beat Italy 4-0 to win Euro 2012 title - Jul 02, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Light heavyweight gold for Russia's Mekhontsev - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: breakaway goal, card japan, creative outlet, david de gea, desperate attempts, european champions, goalkeeper, hampden park, hotaru, inigo, midfielder, olympic football, otsu, ria novosti, shock defeat, slump, stoppage time, surprise defeat, yamaguchi, yuki