Olympic football: Pele hoping for historic Brazil victoryAugust 10th, 2012 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS) Football legend Pele is hoping Brazil will achieve a prize that has eluded him - an Olympics gold medal.
Pele, who played in three World Cup-winning teams for Brazil, said he would be among those cheering loudest when Brazil meet Mexico in the final at Wembley Stadium Saturday.
“People say Brazil doesn’t have a gold medal in the Olympics. I started to play at 17 years of age in the World Cup and I became a professional. At that time professionals could not play (in Olympics),” Pele was quoted as saying Thursday.
“I hope that now we can finally win an Olympic gold medal. I want to go back to Brazil with the only medal we never got.”
Brazilian sensation Neymar, who was singled out for special praise by the 71-year-old, revealed Thursday the team wanted to win for the man who is widely regarded as football’s greatest player.
“Our aim is to create history for Pele and for all Brazilians,” Neymar said.
- Romario asks government to sack national coach - Sep 21, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Menezes to blame for Brazil's Olympic agony, says Romario - Aug 12, 2012
- Scolari says he is 'unwanted' for 2014 World Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Mano Menezes wants Neymar playing in Europe - Mar 12, 2012
- Olympic football: US avenge World Cup loss to Japan - Aug 10, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Brazil outclass Britain in Olympic warm-up - Jul 21, 2012
- Barcelona in 60 million-euro deal for Neymar - Jul 16, 2012
- Neymar charters luxury jet for Santos match - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic football: Menezes refutes Brazil gold medal pressure - Aug 06, 2012
- Neymar, Messi in charity match - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: 17 years, aim, brazil, brazilians, football legend, london, mexico, neymar, olympic football, olympic gold medal, olympics, pele, sensation, time professionals, victory, wembley stadium, world cup