Olympic flame travels to DublinJune 6th, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Dublin, June 6 (IANS) Some 41 runners will carry the Olympic Flame here Wednesday for the torch’s only excursion outside Britain ahead of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The ceremony will include a cross-border ceremony, a civic event in Howth, a run on the Skyline roof at Croke Park and a relay around Dublin city centre.
The visit of the Flame to Ireland is symbolic of the success of the Northern Ireland Peace Process, and of the all-island make-up of the Irish team for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The event starts just outside Newry in Northern Ireland. A short ceremony will take place at the border involving former Olympic boxers Wayne McCullough and Michael Carruth along with children from schools in Newry and Dundalk.
The Flame will then be driven to Howth in County Dublin where it will be greeted by Ireland’s President Michael Higgins in a ceremony outside the offices of the Olympic Council in Howth.
President Higgins will be joined in Howth by hundreds of school children from the area, representatives of local civic and sporting organisations, and British Ambassador to Ireland Dominick Chilcott.
The final torchbearer, former Olympic 5,000-metre runner and chef de mission for the Irish 2012 Olympic team Sonia O’Sullivan, will light an Olympic cauldron on the Green’s Bandstand to commemorate the event.
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- London showpiece set to be unveiled with classy display - Jul 27, 2012
- Prince settles lawsuit over cancelled concert - Feb 27, 2010
- Prince faces 1.6-million-euro legal action over Dublin gig no-show - Feb 23, 2010
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- British envoy blames Iran for embassy storming - Dec 03, 2011
- Olympic flame moved and later re-lit - Jul 31, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- 227 kg bomb defused in Northern Ireland - Apr 10, 2011
- UAE envoy meets Irish finance minister - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympic games, area representatives, british ambassador, chef de mission, civic event, county dublin, dublin city centre, final torchbearer, irish team, london 2012 olympic games, michael higgins, northern ireland peace, o sullivan, olympic cauldron, olympic council, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic team, peace process, wayne mccullough