Olympic flame touring Shantou in rainMay 10th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by admin
Shantou (China), May 10 (Xinhua) The Olympic torch relay in Shantou in China started in rain Saturday, marking the last stopover in Guangdong province. The launch ceremony overcame the rainstorm, with a former weightlifting world champion, Cai Yanshu, taking over the first torch from an official in the Dragon Bay District Square at 8.05 a.m.
The Olympic Games will be held in Beijing Aug 8-24.
Cai Yanshu, 44, is a world champion himself before training Zhang Guozheng to the Olympic champion. He won the Asian Games gold in men’s 75kg category in 1986. In the 1989 World Championships, he snatched a weight of 160kg, grabbing the title of 75kg category.
“I have never win an Olympic medal. The experience of being a torchbearer just makes up for the regret,” said Cai.
The relay in Shantou is set to proceed a course of 36 km. Shantou, historically known in the West as Swatow or Swatau or Su
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic lifting champion Liao Hui fails dope test, banned - Nov 18, 2011
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Mary Kom, Sarita look to secure Olympic berth - Apr 04, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- China's Wang finally lifts Olympic gold - Jul 29, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: asian games, dragon bay, eastern guangdong, games gold, guangdong province, launch, olympic champion, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic medal, olympic torch relay, rainstorm, shantou china, shantou in china, stopover, swatow, torchbearer, weightlifting, world champion, xinhua