Olympic flame moved and later re-litJuly 31st, 2012 - 6:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, July 31 (THAINDIAN NEWS) On Sunday evening, something extraordinary happened at the Olympics. The Olympic flame for the London 2012 Olympics was extinguished, moved and later relit. It is said that the flame was put out due to security reasons.
According to tradition, the Olympics flame should be left to burn throughout the Olympics. This incident however was different. The technicians of the London 2012 Olympics had to move the flame anther position and this is why the flame had to be put out for the moving to take place. It could be dangerous moving the flame while it was still on. Before the flame was put out, Austin Playfoot who is the torch bearer for this year’s Olympics transferred the Olympics flame to an Olympics torch.
Playfoot was also a torch bearer for the 2012 and the 1948 Olympics. The cauldron that houses the flame was then moved and the Olympics flame relit with a cherry picker. People are thankful that the Olympics flame was not put out by London’s rain and that the putting out of the flame was not due to an accident.
The Telegraph indicates that there was a time when the Olympics flame was put out accidentally during its tour of Britain before the games began.
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic torch reaches Vancouver - Feb 12, 2010
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Spectacular, innovative opening to 2012 London Olympics (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Man rams tanker into ex-wife's house - Jan 23, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: 1948 olympics, 2012 olympics, cauldron, cherry picker, games, london 2012 olympics, news on sunday, olympic flame, olympics, olympics torch, rain, security reasons, sunday evening, telegraph, torch bearer, tour of britain, tradition