Olympic fencing: Second seed Li crashes outJuly 30th, 2012 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS) Second seed and world champion Li Na of China was bundled out of the Olympic women’s fencing competition after she lost to defending champion Britta Heidemann of Germany 14-13 Monday.
Li, the champion of last year’s world championships, went in for a frantic attack in the women’s epee, when she was falling behind 10-13 with only about 15 seconds left. She won three points and conceded one until the time ran out, reports Xinhua.
The 31-year-old was apparently left distraught by the close loss and rushed back to the locker room without speaking to the waiting press.
Heidemann said she enjoyed some psychological edge over Li and that was the main reason for her win.
“I participated in a lot of big international competitions, such as world championships and the Olympic Games. And I also won at the Beijing Olympics, but Li Na lost several times,” she said.
The 29-year-old German said she employed a counter-attack tactics against Li, and it worked.
- Olympic fencing: Epee gold for Ukraine's Shemyakina - Jul 31, 2012
- China qualify for women's epee team semis at London Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic fencing: Korean girl falls victim to timing error - Jul 31, 2012
- Rich haul of medals for India in Asian Women's Boxing - Mar 25, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Chinese Li takes TT gold in controversial final - Aug 02, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Li Na lifts French Open singles title, first Asian grand slam singles winner (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Sarita in pre-quarters, closer to Olympics - May 14, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Chinese off to a good start - Jul 29, 2012
- Italian Olympic debutants could spoil Vezzali's London party - Jul 20, 2012
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- India Open: Wan bags men's title, Li lifts women's crown - Apr 29, 2012
- Mary Kom out of Worlds, still in Olympic race - May 16, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, britta heidemann, champion li, china, crashes, defending champion, epee, fencing competition, international competitions, locker room, london, olympic fencing, olympic games, olympic women, olympics, psychological edge, several times, world champion, world championships, xinhua