Olympic fencing: Korean girl falls victim to timing errorJuly 31st, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Korean fencer who lost a dramatic Olympic semi-final in controversial circumstances Monday likely fell victim to human error or malfunctioning timing equipment, the general secretary of the sport’s federation said.
The official score showed the female fencer, A Lam Shin, lost 5-6 in overtime to Germany’s Britta Heidemann in the sport’s individual epee discipline.
But timing equipment had not been activated toward the end of the semi-final, allowing Heidemann extra time to register points.
Had the contest ended 5-5, Lam would have advanced to the final.
The result left Lam in tears and prompted her coaches to file an appeal, which happened to be delayed due to the failure of the team to include a payment with it.
“It was most likely that there was some failure with the equipment or the button had been pressed in time,” said general secretary Maxim Paramonov.
“We were confronted by a dilemma: to take the right decision from a human point of view or the right decision from the point of view of fencing rules, which aren’t perfect. The technical committee decided to take the second route.”
Paramonov said he regrets the fact that the sport depends on “such equipment”.
“But the technical committee made the right decision,” which he said was final.
Lam Shin, meanwhile, proceeded to the bronze medal match, where she lost to China’s Yujie Sun.
- Olympic fencing: Epee gold for Ukraine's Shemyakina - Jul 31, 2012
- China qualify for women's epee team semis at London Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Russia takes synchronised team gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia defeat Bulgaria to reach final - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic fencing: Second seed Li crashes out - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Italy's Mangiacapre, Mongolia's Uranchimeg take bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- China's Chen takes badminton bronze - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: britta heidemann, bronze medal, controversial circumstances, dilemma, extra time, fencer, fencing rules, general secretary, human error, korean girl, lam, match, maxim, olympic fencing, overtime, point of view, ria novosti, right decision, technical committee, timing error