Olympic fencing: Italy sweeps podium in individual foilJuly 29th, 2012 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Italy took all three medals in the women’s individual foil fencing competition Saturday, with Elisa Di Francisca beating Arianna Errigo on sudden death in the final.
The match between two athletes on their Olympic debuts was tied at 11-11 after Di Francisca cancelled out Errigo’s earlier lead before taking the gold with a quick lunge at the start of the sudden death period.
“I’m so much happy for it because this last one against Arianna was such a tough fight, especially from a psychological point of view,” Di Francisca said.
“Now I’m overwhelmed with feelings, I can’t explain it, I can’t describe it. The only thing that comes into my mind now, is that I’ve worked so much to get this. I wanted it so bad, and now I finally got it. All that work paid off in the end.”
Italy’s podium sweep had earlier been assured when five-time Olympic gold medal-winner Valentina Vezzali beat South Korea’s Hyun Hee Nam in the bronze medal match.
Vezzali had come to London seeking her fourth individual Olympic gold in a row, but was forced to settle for bronze after losing to Errigo in the semifinal.
Hyun made the veteran fight all the way for her consolation prize, as the lead changed hands regularly in an engrossing match with Hyun leading before Vezzali fought back to draw the match at 12-12 before sealing the crucial 13th point to take bronze.
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Italian Olympic debutants could spoil Vezzali's London party - Jul 20, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Lin Dan retains singles gold after fierce battle - Aug 05, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Tazegul scores gold for Turkey - Aug 10, 2012
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- China's Chen takes badminton bronze - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic pole vault: France's Lavillenie soars to gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Ukrainian powers to men's canoe sprint gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics archery: South Korea's Oh shoots gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Cernogoraz claims trap gold in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Croatia wins men's handball bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Varner wins gold for US - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: bronze medal, bs rn, consolation prize, elisa, feelings, fencing competition, foil fencing, gold medal winner, lunge, match, medals, nam, olympic fencing, olympic gold medal, podium, point of view, ria novosti, south korea, sudden death, valentina vezzali