Olympic cycling: Russian cyclist Baranova expelled for dopingAugust 4th, 2012 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian track cyclist Victoria Baranova has been caught doping and sent home from the London Olympics, according to reports.
Baranova, 22, was due to participate in Friday’s keirin finals, but was expelled from the team by the Russian Cycling Federation after testing positive for a prohibited substance.
The nature of the substance and the timing of the failed test were unclear but according to sources Baranova has admitted her guilt.
Baranova, ranked No. 2, had trained under the supervision of her father, Alexei, in the run-up to the Games, separately from the Russian team.
She won the keirin in the European junior track championships in Portugal last month.
Baranova is the third drugs cheat to be caught during the Games after Albanian weightlifter Hysen Pulaku tested positive for steroids and Uzbek gymnast Luiza Galiulina was found to have taken a drugs masking agent.
Additionally, the Olympic committee of St. Kitts and Nevis Sunday sent home sprinter Tameka Williams for taking a substance that they feared “would fall outside the accepted medical code.”
More than 100 athletes were prohibited from competing in London for doping offences that were uncovered in the six months leading up to the Games, the IOC announced Friday.
- I thought I'd got away, says dope-tainted cyclist - Aug 04, 2012
- U.S. judoka expelled from Olympics for cannabis - Aug 06, 2012
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast provisionally suspended for doping - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast suspended for doping (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Moroccan runner expelled for doping - Aug 04, 2012
- St. Kitts sprinter Williams sent home after testing positive - Jul 29, 2012
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- Olympics: Former world champ Kim Collins pulls out of sprint - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia toughens anti-doping regulations - Jun 08, 2011
- Over 100 athletes got London doping bans: WADA - Jul 26, 2012
- Russian team will be free of doping scandals in London: Minister - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: albanian, cycling federation, failed test, guilt, gymnast, hysen, ioc, keirin, kitts and nevis, london olympics, medical code, olympic committee, olympic cycling, olympics, ria novosti, russian team, st kitts and nevis, steroids, vm, weightlifter