Olympic cycling: Britain take men’s sprint goldAugust 3rd, 2012 - 1:32 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Britain won gold at the velodrome in world record time Thursday, beating France in the men’s team sprint final.
Britain’s Chris Hoy, Philip Hindes and Jason Kenny won in a time of 42.600 seconds, knocking 0.147 seconds off the world record they had set earlier in the day, and beating France’s Gregory Bauge, Michael d’Almeida and Kevin Sireau by 0.413 seconds.
With the win, Hoy picked up his fifth Olympic gold and sixth overall, and secured a place in history for winning medals at four consecutive Olympics.
Germany’s team of Rene Enders, Robert Forstemann and Maximilian Levy won the bronze medal, edging out Australia’s Matthew Clatezer, Shane Perkins and Scott Sunderland.
The Germans won the bronze medal match in a time of 43.209 seconds, with the Australians 0.146 seconds behind.
The women’s team sprint earlier saw controversy when Germany took the gold after their Chinese opponents’ winning performance in the final was disallowed for an illegal changeover.
The same fault had previously seen the British team disqualified, allowing the Germans to take the hosts’ place in the final. Australia took bronze, beating Ukraine.
- Olympic GB cycling: Kenny sprints to gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic wrestling : Lopez Nunez wins gold for Cuba - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Norway's Larsen takes Kayak sprint gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Hoy to carry British flag at Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Varner wins gold for US - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Russia takes synchronised team gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Khugaev gives Russia gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Germany's Brendel paddles to canoe gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men's 120 kg - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: almeida, aug 2, australians, bronze medal, changeover, germans, gregory bauge, jason kenny, levy, maximilian, medals, olympic gold, perkins, ria novosti, scott sunderland, shane, team sprint, vd, velodrome, world record time