Olympic champion Cameron Van der Burgh admits to cheatingAugust 8th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Aug 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The recently crowned 100m breast stroke Olympic champion Cameron Van der Burgh has just admitted that he cheated in winning the gold. The celebrated South African gold medalist swimmer confessed to the Sydney Morning Herald that he used dolphin kicks to enhance his speed. The world record breaker has been accused of cheating in 100m breast stroke.
When reached for comment, Burgh admitted that everybody does cheat and if not everybody, then 99% do. His winning the gold medal and subsequently breaking the world record has been the subject of debate especially after he upset the world decorated swimmer of all times Michael Phelps. Since the officials did not review the underwater camera at the time of the race there is no case against the world champion.
In the year 2004, dolphin kicks were considered illegal but FINA has in recent years become more permissive by ruling that breastrokers could take only one dolphin kick at the start of each race as well as the turn. However, we can’t fully blame the swimmers for having a desire to cheat. The thought that someone in the next could be cheating exerts a lot of pressure on a swimmer to cheat lest he gets out of the medal contention.
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Gyurta wins 200m breaststroke gold, sets world record - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps not invincible as FINA moves to level things - Dec 13, 2009
- Olympics: South Africa's Van Der Burgh sets world record in 100m breaststroke - Jul 30, 2012
- Paralympic Games: Brazilian Dias wins 4th swimming gold - Sep 07, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: China's Ye Shiwen shatters world record in swimming - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: breast stroke, cameron van der burgh, desire, dolphin, dolphin kick, fina, gold medal, gold medalist, medal contention, michael phelps, morning herald, olympic champion, south african gold, swimmer, swimmers, sydney morning herald, underwater camera, van der burgh, world champion, world record breaker