Olympic cauldron extinguished for moveJuly 30th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The cauldron containing the Olympic flame was extinguished Sunday and the flame transferred to a lantern, organisers said Monday.
The reason was to move the cauldron to another part of the stadium overnight and the flame was relit Monday morning, International Olympic Committee (IOC) director of communication Jackie Brock-Doyle said.
“We took the main flame from there, put it into a miner’s lamp where it spent the night, as it did every day on the torch relay, and then the flame was taken from there and lit this morning,” he said.
“It is a bit of a construction site because we’re taking the whole thing apart and setting it up for athletics,” he said of the Olympic stadium.
The cauldron was lit Friday at the end of the opening ceremony by seven young athletes.
- London Games opening ceremony sold out - Jul 27, 2012
- High jumper Di Martino to miss Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Olympic flame moved and later re-lit - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Weber, Dietze steer Germany to kayak double gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Australian Seebohm sets record in backstroke heats - Jul 29, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: brock, construction site, dg, international olympic committee, ioc, london, monday morning, olympic flame, olympic stadium, opening ceremony, organisers, ria novosti, ss sr, torch relay, young athletes