Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronzeAugust 10th, 2012 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Bulgaria’s Tervel Pulev and Azerbaijan’s Teymur Mammadov won bronze in the men’s Olympic 91kg boxing here Friday after losing their respective semi-finals.
Ukraine’s Olexander Usyk will now fight Italy’s Clemente Russo for the gold medal Saturday, in a rematch of last year’s World Championship final, which Usyk won.
Usyk beat Pulev 21-5 in a resounding win, while 2008 silver medallist Russo defeated Mammadov 15-13.
Pulev, the silver medallist at the last two European Championships, tried to put pressure on Usyk early in the first round but the Ukrainian responded with force, sending Pulev to the canvas with 30 seconds remaining of the round, which he won 6-2.
Usyk again effectively subdued Pulev in the second, scoring good points with the Bulgarian up against the ropes to take the round 8-2, before dominating in a third round he won 7-1.
Mammadov’s quarter-final win over Siarhei Karneyeu had sparked discussions over the fairness of the scoring system and the Azerbaijani fighter’s penchant for holding his opponents, after he was jeered by some in the crowd as he danced up to the ring before the fight.
Mammadov held Russo several times in the second round but also scored some strong hits of his own, registering two knockdowns in the second round, which he won 6-4 after earlier taking the first 3-2.
The third round saw Russo knock Mammadov down twice and pound him against the ropes before both received warnings for holding.
Both fighters celebrated at the bell as they awaited the judges’ verdict, which gave Russo the final round 9-4 and the fight by two points.
Men’s boxing at the Olympics uses three three-minute rounds, unlike the four two-minute rounds used in women’s.
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men's 120 kg - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Kazakhstan's Sapiyev wins welterweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Azerbaijan's Sharifov - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Russia takes synchronised team gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Ogogo and Uzbekistan's Atoev win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Light heavyweight gold for Russia's Mekhontsev - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: South Korea's Yang wins men's vault - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Joshua wins super heavyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Ill Sharapova out of Canadian Open - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Russia win rhythmic gymnastics gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic swimming: French Agnel destroys field for 200-m free gold - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: against the ropes, azerbaijan, boxing, canvas, clemente russo, crowd, fairness, gold medal, heavyweights, minute rounds, olympics, opponents, penchant, ria novosti, scoring system, semi finals, several times, silver medallist, ss, ukrainian