Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead)July 29th, 2012 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) India’s strong medal contender Vijender Singh sailed into the pre-quarter final in the men’s middleweight (75 kg) boxing competition with a clinical 14-10 win over Danabek Suzhanov of Kazakhstan at the London Olympics here Saturday.
Vijender, who became the country’s first ever Olympic medal winner in boxing by grabbing the bronze in the Beijing Games four years back, seemed confident as he let in some lethal punches to pierce the defence of his rival.
The Indian led in each of the rounds, though the Kazakh fighter also landed a few good blows at the Excel arena.
Egged on by the vociferous crowd of expatriate Indians, Vijender opened up a 5-4 lead in the opening round, despite missing a few good scoring chances.
The Indian kept his composure in the next round, notwithstanding Suzhanov’s bid to overturn the script and widened the gulf to 9-7. Of special mention was a lightning left hook followed by a right uppercut unleashed by the Indians, both of which proved productive.
Down by two points, Suzhanov tried to go on the offensive in the third round, but Vijender was more than equal to the task as he took a further 5-3 lead to consolidate his position and end the bout on a triumphant note.
Vijender would be up against 24-year old US pugilist Terrel Gausha in the round of last 16 Thursday.
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender in second round - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Sodhi, Bhagwan disappoint for India (Evening Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Superb Saina first Indian shuttler in Olympics semis (India Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender, Jai Bhagwan keep India's hopes alive (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Saina first Indian shuttler in semis, Paes-Sania advance (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: beijing, composure, crowd, expatriate indians, games, India, kazakh, kazakhstan, left hook, london olympics, medal contender, middleweight, olympic boxing, olympic medal winner, olympics, punches, quarters, triumphant note, uppercut