Olympic boxing: Ukraine’s Usyk slogs his way to goldAugust 12th, 2012 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ukraine’s Olexander Usyk slogged his way to Olympic heavyweight boxing gold, winning a bruising final against Italy’s Clemente Russo.
Usyk, the No. 1 seed, repeated his world championship final victory over the Beijing silver medallist to take the sport’s top prize by 14 points to 11 Saturday.
It was Russo who took a cautious opening round 3-1 after landing more accurately.
But Usyk came back fiercely in the second with a knockdown to level it at 8-8 going into the final round.
The Ukrainian pounded his opponent in the final round to take it 6-3 and guarantee gold.
Bulgaria’s Tervel Pulev and Teymur Mammadov of Azerbaijan lost to the two finalists in Friday’s semifinal to each take a bronze medal home.
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Joshua wins super heavyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men's 120 kg - Aug 12, 2012
- New Zealand's late dash brings rowing gold in sculls - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Lightweight Lomachenko wins gold for Ukraine - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Varner wins gold for US - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia's women retain chess Olympiad title - Sep 10, 2012
- Russia's Tchebanika wins TT Paralympic gold - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Kazakhstan's Sapiyev wins welterweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olymic wrestling: Vlasov ends Russia's wait for gold - Aug 06, 2012