Olympic boxing: Shimizu and Alvarez claim bronzeAugust 10th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Satoshi Shimizu of Japan and Cuba’s Lazaro Alvarez lost their respective semifinals in the men’s 56kg boxing competition to claim Olympic bronze medals here.
Shimizu succumbed to Britain’s Luke Campbell, a 2011 world silver medallist who dominated from the start for a resounding 20-11 victory.
The British southpaw came out strong, mixing up his combinations well and registering several stinging lefts to go 5-2 up in round one.
Shimizu belied his crude style to fare better in the second round but was still overpowered by Campbell and went down 6-11.
Campbell landed some big one-twos in the third round to rock his opponent, who started to clam up with fatigue.
He cruised to an inevitable victory and a gold medal match-up against Ireland’s John Joe Nevin.
Nevin, a former world bronze medallist, beat the 2011 World Champion Alvarez, 19-14 in the previous bout.
Nevin came under sustained pressure from Alvarez but managed to stay ahead on points with his greater activity around the ring.
The Irishman won the first round 5-3, the second 7-6 and the third 7-5 to secure a spot in the final. The gold medal match is Saturday.
- Olympic sailing: New Zealand snatches gold in women's 470 - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Gold for Canada's MacLennan in trampoline - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Rhode blasts her way to skeet gold, equals world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Tazegul scores gold for Turkey - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic pole vault: France's Lavillenie soars to gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men's 120 kg - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Azerbaijan's Sharifov - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Ukrainian powers to men's canoe sprint gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Gonzalez stuns Lee for gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic football: Late strike gives Canada bronze - Aug 09, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: alvarez, bronze medals, clam, dg, fatigue, gold medal, inevitable victory, irishman, john joe, lazaro, lefts, nevin, olympic boxing, opponent, ria novosti, satoshi, shimizu, silver medallist, southpaw, world champion