Olympic boxing: Mary Kom punches her way into quarters (Lead)August 5th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS) M.C. Mary Kom, India’s medal hope in Olympic women’s boxing, put on a valiant display as she downed a bigger Polish opponent Karolina Michalczuk to enter the quarterfinals of the 51 kg category here Sunday.
The five-time world champion, had to fight hard to progress to the next stage, winning 19-14 at the ExCel Arena. The Indian faces Maroua Rahali of Tunisia in a last eight bout Monday.
The first round was a tight affair as both the boxers came out attacking. There was nothing to separate the two as the round ended 3-3.
In the second round, the Indian boxer came out with a new vigour and attacked viciously. The Polish boxer too didn’t flinch as she she answered Mary Kom’s punches with some of her own.
Many thought the round might got to the Pole, who towards the end sent the 2010 Asian Games gold medallist reeling. Karolina landed a hard right hook which took the wind out of the Indian. But the judges still awarded the round in the Indian’s favour 5-4.
Mary Kom showed her class in the third. She attacked with a flurry of combinations which had the Pole ducking and evading. Both of them traded punches for a while but it was clear that the diminutive Indian was well ahead. With quick feet and quick hands, Mary Kom surged ahead into the lead, taking the round 7-3.
With both boxers tiring in the fourth round, the Indian tried to stay away from the reach of her opponent, who had to reduce a five-point deficit.
Karolina fought hard for a comeback but the Indian was too good for her. Time running-out, the Pole caught Mary Kom a couple of times but could only draw the final round 4-4.
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom keeps alive India's medal hopes, hockey team crushed (India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom in semis, ensures medal for India (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom goes down fighting, takes bronze (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom ensures best medal haul for India (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Mary Kom ensures best medal haul for India (India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Will give my best for a bigger medal, says Mary Kom - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Indians will be proud of Mary Kom, says husband - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Sarita Devi advances in boxing world championship - May 13, 2012
- Focus is on maintaining my form: Mary Kom - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: asian games, boxer, boxers, combinations, favour, India, kg, kom, london, olympic boxing, olympic women, opponent, point deficit, punches, quarterfinals, quarters, right hook, time world champion, tunisia, vigour