Olympic boxing: Mary Kom goes down fighting, takes bronze (Lead)August 8th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS) India’s M.C. Mary Kom had to settle for the bronze as she went down fighting in her 51 kg semifinal bout to Britain’s Nicola Adams at the Olympics here Wednesday.
Buoyed by the presence of British Prime Minister David Cameron and star professional boxer Amir Khan, second-seed Nicola put on a flawless performance beating the Indian 11-6 at the packed ExCel Arena.
From the start of the bout, Mary Kom struggled to cope up with the Briton’s speed. She came under pressure in the first round, having to fend off Nicola’s powerful punches.
A couple of times the 29-year-old Indian, a mother of twins, was pinned in the corner and took some major blows losing the first round 1-3.
The second round was closer as both boxers tried to assert their dominance. However the five-time world champion found it difficult to get her way around the quick Briton, who narrowly edged the round 2-1.
Mary Kom, who had to switch two weight categories to get to 51kg, tried her best to reduce the deficit in the third round but had no answer to the speed of Niocla. The British fighter, who beat the Indian in the World Championships in China, made full use of her height advantage.
Mary Kom struggled as the Nicola displayed some clever boxing, causing the Indian massive problems. But to the credit of the newly crowned bronze medallist, she stuck it out and lost the third by a whisker.
The final round went pretty much in similar fashion as Mary Kom found it hard to cope with Nicola’s superior size. With time running out the Indian went hell for leather but fell short and lost the round 2-3.
Niocla next faces World Champion Ren Cancan of China in the finals.
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Adams wins first women's gold - Aug 10, 2012
- PM congratulates Olympic medallist Mary Kom - Aug 08, 2012
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- Mary Kom out of Worlds, still in Olympic race - May 16, 2012
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Mary Kom qualifies for London Olympics - May 18, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom in semis, ensures medal for India (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Mary Kom goes down in semis for bronze (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Kavita settles for a bronze - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Boxer Mary Kom settles for bronze, India's Asiad tally at 46 (Evening Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: amir khan, boxer amir khan, british prime minister, briton, cancan, david cameron, dominance, flawless performance, height advantage, massive problems, minister david, mother of twins, nicola adams, olympic boxing, professional boxer, punches, time world champion, weight categories, whisker, world championships