Olympic boxing: India’s Devendro marches into quarters (Lead)August 4th, 2012 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) India’s Laishram Devendro Singh marched into the last eight of the men’s 49kg boxing event at the London Olympics with another dominating performance that saw him overcome Serdamba Purevdorj of Mongolia 16-11 in the men’s pre-quarterfinals here Saturday.
Devendro had won his first round bout in an emphatic style with the referee stopping contest.
Going into the pre-quarterfinal bout, the Indian had a mountain to climb against Purevdorj, a former World Champion and Beijing Games silver medallist.
The 20-year-old from Manipur showed no signs of nerves as he came out swinging in the first round. The Mongolian was taken aback by the barrage of punches which came his way as the Indian narrowly edged out the first round 4-3.
The second round started off in a similar fashion as Devendro went on the attack with the Mongolian having no answer.
Purevdorj, a former world champion, was stunned by the Indian’s attack and looked short of ideas.
Devendro further strengthened his stranglehold in the bout by landing a left-hook that sent his opponent reeling. The referee stopped the bout and gave the Mongolian a standing eight count.
The third round too went the same way. A tired Purevdorj showed no intensity in attack and hardly troubled the Indian. Devendro though changed his style and adopted more defensive tactics.
The Mongolian landed a couple of punches but that was never enough as the diminutive Indian took the round 8-6.
Devendro will now face Paddy Barnes of Ireland in the quarters Wednesday. Barnes is a 2008 Beijing Games bronze medallist and the 2010 Commonwealth Games champion.
- Olympics boxing: Devendro punches his way to pre-quarters - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Irishman ends Devendro's dream run (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Superb Saina wins India's third medal at London Olympics (India Round-up) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap upsets seeded player, Devendro wins in style (Evening Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Devendro cruises into prequarters - Oct 03, 2011
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics boxing: India's Vijender knocked out (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing, 2010 commonwealth games, barrage, bronze medallist, defensive tactics, dominating performance, intensity, left hook, london olympics, marches, mongolian, nerves, olympic boxing, punches, quarterfinal, quarterfinals, referee, silver medallist, stranglehold, world champion