Olympic boxing: Indian pugilist Jai Bhagwan boxed outAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS) India’s Jai Bhagwan was outboxed by Kazakh fighter Gani Zhailauov at the London Olympics and lost by a big margin in the pre-quarterfinals of the men’s 60 kg category here Thursday.
Bhagwan became the third boxer to fall in the London Games after the ouster of Shiva Thapa (56 kg) and Sumit Sangwan (81 kg) as he lost 8-16 at the ExCel Arena.
The Indian got off to a bright start and looked to having the upper hand over the Kazakh boxer, who had knocked him out in the quarters of the 2011 World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Starting off aggressively, Jai Bhagwan landed some telling blows in the beginning and ended the first round 3-2 in his favour.
The Indian though looked lazy in the second round and came in for some stick from the Kazakh boxer, who by now was well settled into the bout. Jai Bhagwan’s reply never came as he withdrew himself into a shell and relied on the odd counter punches.
Things only got worse for Jai Bhagwan as he was given a public warning that resulted in a two-point penalty, ending the round 3-10.
Participating in his first Olympics, the 26-year-old Indian seemed to run out of gas in the third. Initially showing a bit of urgency, Jai Bhagwan lacked ideas to get back into the contest as the Kazakh showed great counter-attacking skills and clever boxing.
Zhailauov, who won a bronze medal in Baku, adopted a defensive strategy, trying to evade most of the punches coming his way and finally took the third round 4-2.
- World Boxing meet: Manoj, Devendro lose in quarters - Oct 05, 2011
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Olympics: Sodhi, Bhagwan disappoint for India (Evening Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Superb Saina first Indian shuttler in Olympics semis (India Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Krishan settles for bronze - Oct 08, 2011
- Olympics: Indian boxer Jai Bhagwan starts campaign against Allisop - Jul 28, 2012
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 08, 2012
- Olympics boxing: Jai Bhagwan marches into round of 16 (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- World boxing meet: Devendro, Manoj make it to London Olympics - Oct 04, 2011
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Devendro, Jai ease into pre-quarters (Lead) - Oct 03, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom in semis, ensures medal for India (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: aug 2, baku azerbaijan, boxer, bronze medal, defensive strategy, favour, first olympics, jai bhagwan, kazakh, london games, london olympics, olympic boxing, ouster, pugilist, punches, quarterfinals, shiva, sumit, urgency, world championships