Olympic beach volleyball: Powerhouses enter knock-out stageJuly 31st, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Brazil’s top-seeded pair of Larissa Franca and Juliana Felisberta Da Silva secured a second straight win for a top 16 berth in the women’s beach volleyball event of the London Olympics.
The Brazil duo overpowered Germany’s 12th-seeds Katrin Holtwick and Ilka Semmler 21-18, 21-13 in 42 minutes to push the Germans to 1-1 in pool play Monday, Xinhua reports.
Juliana had one ace, nine kills, two blocks and six digs and Larissa was credited with one ace, 14 kills and 21 digs. For Germany, Holtwick had two aces, 10 kills and 13 digs while Semmler had 10 kills, three blocks and four digs.
Double Olympic Champion Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh from the United States also booked a place in the knockout stage with a 21-14, 21-19 victory over Marketa Slukova and Kristyna Kolocova of Czech Republic.
Earlier Monday, Beijing Olympic bronze medallists Xue Chen and Zhang Xi hammered Simone Kuhn and Nadine Zumkehr of Switzerland in three sets to gain their first win.
Coming off a shocking 1-2 loss to Russians Anastasia Vasina and Anna Vozakova in the opener Saturday, the Chinese duo, second seed of the tournament, clawed back their hope to advance into the last 16 with a 21-19, 16-21, 15-8 victory.
Zhang Xi scored five of China’s last six points to help them remain in the competition with three points in hand.
In the men’s event, Germany’s third-seeds Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann, the 2009 FIVB World Champions who have missed much of this season with Reckermann’s shoulder injury, overcame a slow start and wore down China’s 10th-seeds Wu Penggen and Xu Linyin 13-21, 21-19, 15-8 in a 52-minute match. While Brink and Reckermann is 2-0 to enter the knockout stage, Wu and Xu have slipped to 0-2.
Latvia’s Aleksandrs Samoilovs and Ruslans Sorokins also secured a place in the knockout stages defeating South African pair Grant Goldschmidt and Freedom Chiya 21-13, 21-10.
The tandems in London have been split equally into six pools, with the top two advancing to the knockout phase that begins August 3 along with the two best third-placed teams. The remaining four teams will then compete in lucky loser playoff matches to determine which pairs will fill the final two places.
- Brazilian volleyballers take subway to reach venue - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Germany beats Brazil for its maiden gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Riya to face Mutatkar in Maharashtra badminton final - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Americans seal third straight gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Shuttlers Sindhu, Jayaram advance in Japan Open - Sep 19, 2012
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina in final of Hong Kong Open - Dec 11, 2010
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympic badminton: China's mixed doubles duo wins first badminton gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Mutatkar, Bhat clinch national badminton singles titles - Jan 10, 2011
- Chen Long, Wang Yihan win singles titles at Japan Open - Sep 25, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina, Jayaram in third round of world badminton (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quarters - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: bronze medallists, chiya, da silva, fivb world, goldschmidt, ilka, julius brink, kerri walsh, knockout stage, knockout stages, larissa franca, london olympics, misty may treanor, olympic beach volleyball, olympic bronze, olympic champion, play monday, semmler, shoulder injury, volleyball event