Olympic badminton: Win not enough to take Jwala-Ashwini to quartersAugust 1st, 2012 - 1:51 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) It was a bittersweet result for India’s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa as they brought their top game to win their last group B match against Shinta Mulia Sari and Lei Yao of Singapore Tuesday but it wasn’t enough for them to progress to the quarterfinals of women’s double badminton at the London Olympics.
The Indian duo, who lost their opening match, beat the Singaporean girls 21-16, 21-15 in just 31 minutes.
But the win wasn’t enough as Jawala and Ashwni, World Championship bronze medallists, finished third despite winning two matches like group toppers Yu Chin Chien and Wen Hsing Cheng of Chinese Tapiei and Japanese duo Reika Kakiiwa and Mizuki Fujii.
The Chinese Taipei and the Japanese team went through to the quarters on the basis of better points.
For the Indians, the first set was a tight affair with the Singapore team equalling them for half of the game. Jwala and Ashwini then pressed on the accelerator to take a eight point lead and finally close the game 21-16.
In the second game, the Indians were quickly out of the blocks taking a 10-0 lead. Complacency on their part allowed the Singapore pair to make a comeback into the match. But it proved to be a little too late as the Indians held on to record a memorable win.
Jwala partnered by V. Diju had earlier in the day lost third consecutive group match to be ousted from Olympics.
Jwala-Diju lost their third and final group match 15-21, 15-21 in 27 minutes against World No.9 pair of Ha Jung Eun and Lee Yong Dae of South Korea to end fourth and last in Group D. The win came as a consolation for the South Koreans who are also out of the tournament.
- Jwala, Ashwini lose Olympic opener - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap shines on a mixed day for Indian badminton (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- World Badminton: Jwala, Ashwini storm into semis, Saina exits (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- India's badminton coach Gopichand accuses Japan of 'wanting to lose' - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: BWF rejects India's appeal, Jwala-Ashwini out (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Gutta, Ponnappa in quarterfinals of China Open - Nov 24, 2011
- Olympics: Kashyap, Saina bring joy (Intro Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Kashyap surge ahead; Leander-Vishnu go down fighting (Overall Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap in pre-quarters; Jwala-Diju out (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina wins opener; Jwala-Diju lose (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Saina drawn in easy group at London Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympics badminton: Jwala-Diju suffer second straight defeat - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina best bet for a medal - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: ashwini, bronze medallists, chinese taipei, complacency, consecutive group, final group, gutta, hsing, indian duo, japanese team, jung eun, lee yong dae, london olympics, mizuki, olympic badminton, second game, singapore team, singaporean girls, south koreans, top game