Olympic badminton: ‘Super Dan’ plays Lee again in the final (Lead)August 4th, 2012 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) After four years, world’s top badminton players Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei are to meet again in the Olympic Games for the gold in men’s singles.
China’s badminton star Lin Dan beat his rival, Lee Hyun II from South Korea, 21-12, 21-10, while Malaysian Lee Chong Wei prevented an all-Chinese final by beating Chen Long 21-13, 21-14 Friday, reported Xinhua.
The competition was not really intense, as Lin dominated the court all the time, changing speed suddenly and beating the No.7 seed Lee comfortably.
“I threw myself into the competition actively, so as not to repeat the hard battle yesterday (Friday),” he said.
In the other semifinal, the Chinese No.3 seed seemed nervous and made several mistakes, whereas the most experienced Lee was patient.
Looking into the final, Lee called Lin Dan his “old foe”. He was overpowered by the Chinese four years ago in the Beijing Olympics, and lost to him again at the World Championships last year in the Wembley Arena, where the final is to be played.
“The final will be a replay of the World Championship final,” he said.
Lin was emotional talking about his arch-rival Lee. “We are getting older but could meet again in the Olympic final, which is amazing,” he said. “I know he wants to win. I don’t want to think about the result, but I will do my best.”
If Lin wins, he will become the first men’s single player to defend his title successfully at the Olympic badminton events.
But he didn’t care. “The most important thing is whether I tried.”
- China's Chen takes badminton bronze - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Lee Chong Wei keeping relaxed ahead of London Olympics - May 21, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Lin Dan retains singles gold after fierce battle - Aug 05, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Lin Dan hopes to see Lee Chong Wei in top form at Olympics - May 22, 2012
- Chen Long, Wang Yihan win singles titles at Japan Open - Sep 25, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Saina crashes out of World Badminton quarters (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Saina reaches final, will attempt hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Lin Dan in quest of second Olympic title as China set to stamp authority - Jul 12, 2012
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh continues his giant-killing spree - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: badminton events, badminton players, beijing olympics, china, foe, gold, lee chong wei, lin dan, london, olympic badminton, olympic final, olympic games, olympics, replay, single player, south korea, star lin, wembley arena, world championships, xinhua