Olympic badminton: Russia earns first medal in women’s doublesAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian pair Valeria Sorokina and Nina Vislova crushed Canadians Alex Bruce and Li Michele to take the Olympic badminton bronze in the women’s doubles Saturday.
The Russians earned their country’s first-ever Olympic medal in the sport with a ruthless 21-9, 21-10 win at the Wembley Arena.
The Canadians managed just one point more than in their group stage match against the same opponents.
The competition was weakened considerably with the disqualification of four pairs, including China’s No.1 seeds Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang for match-fixing.
- Olympic badminton: China win women's doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Li Xuerui beats No.1 Wang for gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Japanese shuttler wins Russian Open - Jul 01, 2012
- Olympic Basketball: Russia survives Canadian scare - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics badminton: South Korean appeal rejected - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projects - Aug 09, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic football: Late strike gives Canada bronze - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic sailing: New Zealand snatches gold in women's 470 - Aug 10, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Gold for Canada's MacLennan in trampoline - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Record-breaker Rossi takes gold in women's trap - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia looks to toughen match-fixing laws - Sep 09, 2012