Olympic badminton: India’s Saina marches into quartersAugust 2nd, 2012 - 1:48 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS) On a day when the badminton world was shrouded with controversy, it was business as usual for India’s Saina Nehwal as she cruised into the quarterfinals of the women’s badminton singles at the London Olympics here Wednesday.
Eight women badminton players were disqualified from the doubles event for throwing matches to get a favourable opponent.
Saina, who will be making her second quarterfinal appearance in the Olympics, though didn’t let any of this distract her as she disposed off Jie Yao of the Netherlands 21-14, 21-16.
The Indian, seeded fourth, was in top form and sent a warning to her opponents with her full array of shots that demolished the eleventh seed.
The first game was easy for the Indian, as she opened a 10-4 lead. Saina made her opponent run all over the court with her trademark disguised drop shots in full show.
The second was a tighter affair, the Indian took a 5-2 lead initially but was pegged back by some dogged play by the Dutch player, who then managed to take a 8-5 lead.
Saina’s reply came swiftly as she lifted her game to wipe off the deficit and then take a 13-9 lead. Some bad judgement calls by the Indian allowed the 11th seed to crawl back into the game but the writing was on the wall for the Dutch shuttler as Saina finally closed the game 21-16.
Earlier in the day, Parupalli Kashyap created history by becoming the first Indian male player to enter the singles quarterfinals at Olympics, defeating Sri Lankan Niluka Karunaratne in three games.
Kashyap won a tough match 21-14, 15-21, 21-9, in one hour and six minutes at the Wembley Arena. The previous best performance was by Dipankar Bhattarcharjee in the 1992 Barcelona Games where he lost the third round match to Chinese Zhao Jianhua.
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap enters quarters, creates history (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Kashyap surge ahead; Leander-Vishnu go down fighting (Overall Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Saina bring joy (Intro Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap in pre-quarters; Jwala-Diju out (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap beats World No.11 to enter pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap first Indian male shuttler in quarterfinals (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap upsets seeded player, Devendro wins in style (Evening Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina enters fourth final at Indonesia Open, Kashyap loses (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: aug 2, badminton players, barcelona games, best performance, drop shots, dutch player, first game, judgement, london olympics, marches, olympic badminton, opponent, quarterfinals, saina, six minutes, sri lankan, three games, wembley arena, yao, zhao jianhua