Olympic badminton: Hidayat to revive rivalry against Lin DanJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Indonesian ace shuttler Taufik Hidayat didn’t wait too long before joining his old foes defending champion Lin Dan of China and World No.1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia in the Round of 16, after his victory Tuesday in the men’s singles at the Olympics.
The 31-year-old veteran shuttler’s opponent was Pablo Abian from Spain at the Wembley Arena.
In the first game, the two were tied from 4-4 to 20-20. It ended as Hidayat forced his rival to hit the shuttlecock across the side line and won 22-20.
He was more sharp in the second game, living up to his potential and played full to his talent of handling net shots and controlling the tempo so as to score from errors of the opponent.
The 27-year-old Spaniard, who had failed to enter the Round of 16 in Beijing Olympics, became impatient. A shot blocked by the net also terminated his pursuit for further progress as the second game score read 21-11.
Hidayat will next face Lin in the next match. He has met Lin 15 times, winning only thrice of which the last victory came in 2005.
“The next match with Lin will be good,” said Hidayat. “We will see. I don’t know who is winning, but I will try my best.”
- Lin Dan hopes to see Lee Chong Wei in top form at Olympics - May 22, 2012
- Danish badminton legend bows out in regret - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Saina first Indian shuttler in semis, Paes-Sania advance (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics badminton: Saina first Indian to reach semis (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Saina bring joy (Intro Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Lin Dan retains singles gold after fierce battle - Aug 05, 2012
- Lin Dan seeded second for Olympic badminton draw - Jul 22, 2012
- Chong Wei-Peter Gade final at India Open Super series (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Olympics: Kashyap first Indian male shuttler in quarterfinals (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Bhat, Murgunde out of Asian Badminton - Apr 14, 2010
- Saina reaches final, will attempt hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: abian, ace, beijing olympics, defending champion, first game, game score, lee chong wei, lin dan, match, old foes, old veteran, olympic badminton, olympics, opponent, rivalry, second game, shuttlecock, spaniard, taufik hidayat, wembley arena