Olympic badminton: Four women’s doubles pair suspended (Second Lead)August 1st, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) The 2012 London Olympics organisers Wednesday suspended four female doubles badminton pairs for “not using one’s best efforts to win a match”.
The pairs are: Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China; Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari of Indonesia; Jung Kyung Eun and Kim Ha Na of South Korea; and Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung of South Korea.
The Indians have also lodged a formal complaint but the players, who were disqualified, were not in the same group along with Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has also opened two disciplinary cases against the four women, who contested in the doubles event at the Olympics here at Wembley Arena.
The pairs have been charged under BWF’s Players’ Code of Conduct - Sections 4.5 and 4.16, respectively - with “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport”.
BWF’s Disciplinary Committee will hold a formal hearing after which a decision will be made.
- Olympics: Eight badminton players thrown out (Third Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- We hope to make it to quarters: Ponnappa - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: BWF rejects India's appeal, Jwala-Ashwini out (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- India's badminton coach Gopichand accuses Japan of 'wanting to lose' - Aug 01, 2012
- IOC to investigate coaches' role in badminton scandal - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics badminton: South Korean appeal rejected - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Kashyap surge ahead; Leander-Vishnu go down fighting (Overall Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Saina bring joy (Intro Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap first Indian male shuttler in quarterfinals (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Indonesia slaps bans on scandal-tainted shuttlers - Sep 05, 2012
- Jwala-Diju enter mixed doubles quarters at Singapore - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympics badminton: Jwala-Diju suffer second straight defeat - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Win not enough to take Jwala-Ashwini to quarters - Aug 01, 2012
- Saina in quarterfinals of Indonesia Open - Jun 23, 2011
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Tuesday - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, ashwini, badminton world federation bwf, best efforts, code of conduct, disciplinary cases, disciplinary committee, formal complaint, four women, greysia polii, gutta, jung eun, kim min jung, match, olympic badminton, organisers, pairs, south korea, world federation, xiaoli