Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m finalAugust 10th, 2012 - 2:13 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS) Indian runner Tintu Luka failed to qualify for the 800m final after she finished sixth in the second semi-final in the women’s event at the 2012 London Games here Thursday.
Tintu, who is coached by legendary Indian athlete P.T.Usha, clocked 1:59.69 seconds. It was way below her personal best of 1:59.17 secs she achieved two years back.
South African Caster Semenya, who is making her Olympic debut, won the race in 1:57.67 secs.
Semenya, who was sidelined for a year after failing a gender test, is the favourite to win the gold medal.
Semenya won the world title in 2009 at the age 18. After that she was tested and was cleared to return to action in 2010. She finished runner-up in the 2011 World Championships.
Semenya also carried South Africa’s flag at the opening ceremony in London.
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Mary creates history, Devendro misses out (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Savinova wins gold in women's 800 metres - Aug 12, 2012
- Caster Semenya plans to make 1,500m bid in 2012 Olympics - Feb 22, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: Ashwini, Abraham make it a golden double (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Caster Semenya to take part in Commonwealth Games - Aug 23, 2010
- 'It's like racing a man', says Semenya's Brit rival after Berlin race - Aug 23, 2010
- Rivals 'stared and laughed at' Proteas' Semenya, claims UK athlete - Jul 23, 2010
- CWG Athletics: Krishna ends 52-year wait for gold, India sweeps women's discus (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- Tintu, Mayookha shine at Asian All-Star Athletics Meet - Jul 29, 2010
- Indian gender challenged athlete Santhi prays Semenya doesn't get suicidal like her - Sep 20, 2009
- Asian Games athletics: Tintu Luka wins bronze in women's 800 metres - Nov 25, 2010
- IAAF offers to pay for Caster Semenya's gender surgery - Dec 12, 2009