Olympic athletics: Merritt a deserving 110m hurdles champion (Lead)August 9th, 2012 - 4:37 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) Aries Merritt ran a personal best of 12.92 to win the gold medal as the US took 1-2 in the final of the 110 metres hurdle Wednesday.
Merritt got a flying start and held off the challenge of world champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment to secure what in the end was a comfortable win. It is the first gold medal that the US have taken in the event since Allen Johnson took gold in Atlanta in 1996, Xinhua reported.
“I am so excited, words can’t explain how excited I am,” said Merritt after winning the gold.
It was a race that lived up to the expectations that had been raised earlier in the evening, although Merritt admitted that it was impossible to set a new world record.
“Everyone said it could be a world record beforehand, but you can’t do that if you don’t have the conditions. I had to run into a headwind,” he explained.
The race ended in disappointment for Cuba’s Olympic champion, Dayron Robles, who pulled up halfway through the race with a hamstring injury. The loss of Robles, coupled with the injury suffered by China’s Liu Xian, who damaged his Achilles tendon in the heats did nothing to take the shine off Merritt’s win.
“I trained for this, it is very intensive,” he said, adding that he had done all he could in order to take the tension out of his performance.
“When I practice, I do some ridiculous things, so I thought I’d try and do that here. I work so well in practice when there is no pressure, so I tried to repeat that,” he explained
Merritt highlighted the importance of his win in an event where the US had traditionally dominated, but failed to win in the last three Olympics.
“Gold means everything, we have not had gold since Allen Johnson, so to be able to take it back home is important,” he said.
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Merritt leads US gold rush in athletics (World Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Deserved triumph for Merritt on good night for US (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Cuban hurdler Robles wants nothing but gold at London - Feb 09, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Robles to train in Spain ahead of Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Liu Xiang, Robles set for Birmingham showdown - Feb 10, 2012
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Defar wins 5,000m gold again, eight years on - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Defar delighted to win 5000m gold eight years later - Aug 11, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: 110m hurdles, achilles tendon, aries, dayron robles, disappointment, gold medal, headwind, hurdle, jamaica, jason richardson, liu, merritt, new world record, olympic champion, olympics, parchment, ria novosti, world champion, xian, xinhua