Olympic athletics: Indian walker Irfan Thodi finishes impressive 10thAugust 5th, 2012 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) Indian walker Irfan Kolothum Thodi put on an impressive performance here Saturday to finish 10th in the Olympic men’s 20 km race walk with a national record here at The Mall Saturday.
The 22-year-old army man clocked 1:20.21, finishing one minute 35 seconds behind winner and gold medallist Ding Chen of China. Erick Barrondo clinched silver with 1:18.57 while Chinese Zhen Wang took bronze with a time of 1:19.25.
Other Indians who participated in the race were 27-year-old Gurmeet Singh, who finished 33rd in 1:23.34 while Baljinder Singh reached the finishing line in 1:25.39 in 43rd position.
Thodi started the race well and was in touching distance of the race leader more than halfway into the race. The 22-year-old was only 17 seconds behind after 16 kms.
The leaders increased their speed towards the end which the Indian could not match, but finished in a respectable position.
- Collapsed walker is Olympic hero - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Saturday - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Two Indian walkers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 27, 2011
- List of Indian athletes at London - Jul 26, 2012
- World Athletics: India's Mayookha finishes 9th in long jump - Aug 28, 2011
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Randhawa best Indian making the cut at Gleneagles - Aug 28, 2010
- Asian Games: Indians finish 6th, 7th in men's 20km walk - Nov 21, 2010
- Migrant wins legal battle over lottery ticket - Mar 13, 2012
- Motorsports: Podium for Ghorpade - Jun 16, 2012
- World Athletics: Kenya's Kirui men's marathon title - Sep 04, 2011
- Top 10 finishes for Vishnu, Avdumber in Polo Cup China - Oct 03, 2011
- Olympics: Germany's Brendel paddles to canoe gold - Aug 08, 2012