Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m goldAugust 8th, 2012 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS/CMC) Repeat men’s Olympic 100 metres champion Usain Bolt says he has told compatriot and training partner Yohan Blake not to think about winning the men’s 200 metres later this week.
The men’s 200m got underway at the London Olympics with the heats Tuesday, with both Jamaicans easily advancing to Wednesday’s semifinals, CMC reports.
Blake shocked Bolt in both sprints at the Jamaica Olympic Trials in June but Bolt warned there would be no repeat of those results this week.
“I heard him (Blake) saying a few things about the 200 metres but I told him after the trials that I am not going to let him beat me over 200 metres,” Bolt said here.
“(He) has a lot more work to do if he is going to beat me over 200m. (That is) because that’s my main event and I am not going to let myself down when it comes to the 200m. I am more serious and determined.”
Last year, Blake went close to Bolt’s 200m World record of 19.19 by running a stunning 19.26 seconds, the second fastest time ever.
In Sunday night’s 100m final, Blake equalled his personal best of 9.75 as he took silver.
Bolt, who is seeking an unprecedented repeat sprint double after successfully defending his 100m title, said winning the 200m title was important to his objective of becoming a legend.
“I told him I want it this year so I am not going to give him this one,” Bolt said.
“Maybe next year or the year after that, but right now I need this to become a legend so I am working hard.”
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt breezes into 200m final - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquest - Aug 07, 2012
- Fit-again Bolt admits to past back injury - Jul 27, 2012
- I will be hard to beat next season: Blake - Sep 21, 2012
- Coach key to my success, says Bolt - Sep 13, 2012
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Now Blake keen on playing in Australia's Big Bash - Aug 17, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Bolt's doctor declares him fit and ready - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt, Brathwaite anxiously eyeing semis - Aug 08, 2012