Olympic archery: Jayanta, Swuro miss mark (Lead)July 31st, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Jayanta Talukdar and Chekrovolu Swuro lost to their respective American opponents in contrasting fashion to exit the archery individual event at the London Olympics here Tuesday.
Talukdar got a 0-6 hammering from America’s Jacob Wukie in the opening men’s individual elimination round while Swuro was sent packing after being pipped in the shoot-off by Jennifer Nichols.
In the women’s Eliminator, the score was 5-5 going into the shoot-off, where a single arrow on either side decides the tie. Both Nichols and Swuro shot a nine but the American had the last laugh as her arrow was found closer to the centre of the target.
Swuro’s shooting had been erratic in the team event and the same was the case Tuesday morning at Lord’s. She scored four tens to her opponent’s two but could not deliver in crucial moments.
The Nagaland archer needed a 10 to win the fifth and final set. But the occasion got the better of her as she waited and trembled before managing a six.
Earlier, Jayanta was outplayed by Wukie, who won the silver for the US in the team event.
The American shot six 10 pointers in the maximum nine arrows while Jayanta was able to hit the bulls-eye just once.
The writing was on the wall in the first set in which Jayanta shot a five before losing it 22-27.
Jayanta’s teammate Rahul Banerjee and Tarundeep Rai play their individual matches later in the day.
They bowed out of the team event after losing their opening eliminator to Japan. The highly-rated women were humbled by Denmark in their first knock-out match.
- Olympic archery: Banerjee shoots a rare win for India (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics archery: Rahul, Jayanta, Swuro bow out (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: End of road for Indian men (Archery Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Talukdar is another Indian casualty - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap upsets seeded player, Devendro wins in style (Evening Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Tuesday - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian archers off the mark at Lord's - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: archer, arrow, arrows, banerjee, bulls eye, jacob, jennifer nichols, knock out, last laugh, london olympics, nagaland, olympic archery, olympics, opponent, opponents, pointers, talukdar, target, teammate, tuesday morning