Olympic Archery: Indian women upstaged by DenmarkJuly 29th, 2012 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) The Indian challenge in the archery team event at the Olympics ended Sunday when the women lost to Denmark in the Elimination round at Lord’s.
The World No. 2 trio of Deepika Kumari, Chekrovolu Swuro and Laishram Bombayala Devi faltered in crunch moments to go down 210-211 to Denmark’s Carina Christiansen, Maja Jager and Louise Laursen.
The loss capped off India’s dismal show in the team events after the men lost to Japan in another Eliminator Saturday.
The Indians were leading 52-51 by the first end before losing their way in the second to concede a four-point deficit. The score was 103-107.
India found themselves in further trouble in the third end with Swuro shooting a six for the second time in the match.
The Danes cashed on India’s inconsistency and stretched their lead by five points to go up 160-155.
India fought back in the final end by scoring two tens through Bombayala and Swuro. But that was not to be enough as Denmark shot the required nine of the match’s last arrow.
India will now hope for a medal from the individual event Monday with the bulk of the expectations on Deepika, ranked number one in the world.
- Olympics Archery: Indian women pipped by Denmark (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender, Jai Bhagwan keep India's hopes alive (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Bombayala bows out of individual event - Jul 30, 2012
- Archers over awed by Olympic stage, says coach - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Deepika Kumari still wondering what hit her in London - Aug 09, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- World Archery: Indian women lose in final, settle for silver - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: archery team, carina, christiansen, crunch, eliminator, five points, inconsistency, indian challenge, indian women, indians, jager, kumari, last arrow, laursen, maja, olympic archery, olympics, point deficit, ranked number, second time