Olympic: Algeria’s Makhloufi kicks to gold in 1,500mAugust 8th, 2012 - 5:36 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Algeria’s Taoufik Makhloufi won gold in the men’s 1,500 metres Tuesday, a day after having his disqualification from the event revoked.
Makhloufi, 24, put in a blistering final 200 metres to take gold in three minutes, 34.08 seconds.
Makhloufi had been thrown out of the Olympics for not trying his best in an early 800 metres heat.
He was reinstated on appeal Monday after submitting a doctor’s note that he had been carrying an injury.
Leonel Manzano of the US took silver with a season’s best of 3:34.79.
The bronze went to Morocco’s Abdalaati Iguider in 3:35.13.
Beijing gold medalist Asbel Kiprop finished a surprise 12th in a relatively slow race.
- Olympics Athletics: Sally Pearson fastest hurdler, reinstated Toufiq triumphs (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Kemboi wins 3,000m steeplechase for Kenya - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic javelin: Spotakova wins gold, retains title - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Sanchez storms to men's 400m hurdles gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic decathlon: Eaton grinds out gold for US - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic triple jump : Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Algerian runner excluded for not trying - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic 5,000m: Ethiopia's Defar stuns Dibaba for gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to triple jump gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Russia's Lysenko hurls hammer farthest to take gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic: Zakharov breaks Chinese dominance for diving gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Farah adds 5000m title to 10000m gold - Aug 12, 2012