Olympian footballer Kempaiah passes awayJuly 3rd, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) Former India footballer Mariappa Kempaiah, who played in the 1956 and the 1960 Olympics, passed away in Bangalore, Wednesday. He was 75 and is survived by his wife, one son and two daughters.
Kempaiah, a competent midfielder, played a crucial role in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, where India finished fourth, losing to Bulgaria in the play-off for third place. He was also in the 1960 Rome Olympic squad, where India again finished fourth, India’s best-ever showing at the quadrennial event.
Kempaiah came into prominence while playing for Bangalore Muslims during the 1950s and played for erstwhile Mysore in the national football championship for Santosh Trophy.
In 1956, he moved to Calcutta and played for East Bengal and Mohun Bagan till 1964 with distinction. He played alongside great players like Jarnail Singh, Arun Ghosh, Chuni Goswami, P.K. Banerjee, Balaram, Kannan, Abdul Rehman and Syed Azizuddin.
He also played in the 1958 Tokyo Asian Games, where India lost to Indonesia 1-4 in a play-off for third place and was also a part of the silver medal winning 1959 Merdeka Cup team.
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Former footballers recall Kempaiah's dedication and hard work (Lead) - Jul 03, 2008
- India's football heroes of Rome Olympics felicitated - Apr 13, 2011
- Sailen Manna - a genteel footballer and natural leader (Obituary) - Feb 27, 2012
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- History will be on India's side in AFC Asian Cup - Jan 06, 2011
- History will favour India in AFC Asian Cup (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna is dead (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Samar Banerjee gets Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 30, 2009
- Olympian footballer Keshto Pal dies - Oct 15, 2009
- This is absolutely thrilling: Hockey legend Claudius - Feb 27, 2012
- I-League: Barreto scores in his swansong as Bagan blank Pune FC - May 06, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Olympian footballers remember 'Rahim Saab' on his birth centenary - Aug 17, 2009
Tags: 1960 olympics, abdul rehman, arun ghosh, asian games, balaram, calcutta, east bengal, goswami, jarnail singh, kannan, melbourne olympics, merdeka, midfielder, mohun bagan, mysore, national football championship, olympic squad, p k banerjee, quadrennial event, silver medal